Saturday, October 9, 2010


With only three weeks left of my trip, I'm completely unsure of where to go next. The weather in the south of France has been very summery so going up north where its cold and raining isn't desirable at all. I really want to work with horses, but all the workaways with horses are in the very south of Spain, and I was hoping to see Barcelona in the north. I've emailed a few workaways in England and Whales, and might even consider emailing some in Scotland. Ahhhhh I just can't decide.

I plan on relaxing today after a busy week of work. I did a lot of painting on the window shutters and doors around the house, and also helped clean out the attic which my hosts are hoping to renovate into a bedroom. It might be problematic because there are bats in the attic which are protected in France, so if they plan on taking over the bats home, they have to find a place to relocate them. There was a very distressed bat flying around us while we worked on clearing out cobwebs from the rafters and swept up all the dirt and debris from the floor. While sweeping I found a partially mummified mouse with all the bones held together by a very dried up layer of skin. I might try bringing with back home with me along with the other treasures I've found on my trip. So far these consist of a milky-green dead butterfly that I found while walking along the poppy fields in the Czech Republic, and an empty cocoon with gold specks on it that I found while stacking wood. I also dried some pineapple weed from Novy Myln to bring back with me because I love the smell of it. I'm hoping to collect leaves from the different grapevines on the vineyard here, to press and dry them in their different stages of color from green to deep purpley-brown.

At the moment my arms are really sore from cutting wood with a chainsaw yesterday. I luckily only suffered one wound during the process when a huge chunk of wood fell on my ankle leaving a welt and nasty blood-clot on the surface of the skin. I'm also covered in bug bites starting at my feet and ending around my torso, which don't look like the kind you'd get from mosquitoes but from biting flies.

I'm hoping to make a decision this weekend for my next destination, but feel like I need suggestions from other travelers...

I will push these worries away by baking an apple pie, and then gather some wild mint from under the walnut tree to use for mojitos tonight. The weather looks perfect for lying in the sun on the trampoline while listening to the crickets chirp and chickens cluck and hunters shooting off in the woods.


No comments:

Post a Comment